Well, instead of feeling like I deserved pampering on Mother's Day I honestly felt a little guilty.
I could be a better mom I thought.
So I wrote a list of ideas to myself of ways to be a better mom and I thought I would share them.
Any other ideas?
- Be as happy as Jesus. So I know that sounds weird, but what that means to me is not super, super fake happy all the time, but a sort of peaceful, quiet happy. Do you get this?
- Be mindful of the words I speak. Pay attention to myself.
- Give my kids a steady supply of fiction and nonfiction books from the library.
- Look nice for my family. Just because I stay home doesn't mean I should look like I just woke up all day -every day. Smell nice, look nice. Exercise. It matters.
- Hang pictures of great art prints in the kids bathroom- rotate them periodically- so they have something to look at as they are brushing their teeth for 2 min.
- Cook meals they love with love.
- Do chores, baking and homework together.
- Keep the house clean- not spotless- but clean enough.
- Listen to my kids- pay attention to their needs.
- Teach them important life skills (cooking, laundry, finances, career planning, child care, conserving resources, gardening, health, thrift, etc.)
- Make memories (trips, local outings, family activities, holidays, cultural activities)
- Give them opportunities (lessons, sports, jobs, contests, events)
- Support them in what they are interested in.
- Do not over schedule
- Hang out and be a sitting, available mom
- Be positive (overall)
- Pray together
- Be firm yet loving and kind ( I have to get that Parenting with Love a Logic book!)
Labels: self help for adoptive moms