Tuesday, March 14, 2006
What are you looking forward to?
Yesterday M said to me,

M: Is there anything you are excited about, or do you feel like your life is just monotonous- like you are just going through the motions?

J: There are a lot of things I am excited about. I am looking forward to spring break, our tax return, your upcoming raise, going to Russia, adopting our little girl, etc. What about you?

M: Same things.

J: Why did you ask?

M: I don’t know.

Later…

J: You know, I don’t think that it is good that we are living our lives waiting around for things that hopefully will happen sometime in the future. We should be looking forward to our lives every single day. We should wake-up excited to start the day every day…. I think that is how other people live.

M: I don’t think so. I think most people live a droned-out existence- like nameless, faceless robots going through the motions of tasks that need to be completed.

J: (I had to pause & blink a few times here) Maybe some people are like that, but I think there are a lot of people that look forward to living every day. They probably have some rituals or routines that they really like doing. For example- someone might have certain TV shows that they look forward to, or have a ritual of sitting out on their porch watching the sunset, or reading a good book or talking with their friends, or I don’t know- stuff like that.

M: I don’t think so. I think most people just get up- go to work- sleep- get up- go to work- sleep (He was going through one of his pessimistic moods- he really does more than that)

So, I am asking all of you readers- Do you look forward to your life every single day? If so, what do you look forward to? Or how are you getting through the long "wait"?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:
Blogger Maggie said...
I think I fall somewhere in between what you said and what M said. For the most part my life is pretty routine, work, home, sleep. But it's peppered with a lot of great things that I'm grateful for. A job I love, great family and friends that I get to talk to and see frequently, hobbies I enjoy, the world's cutest bulldog, etc. Life's pretty good. And it's going to get better when Peanut is home.

Blogger Rhonda said...
I'm with Margaret, somewhere in the middle. We try very hard not to put our lives on hold for the adoption, because its important to live our lives right now. But, its hard when you're saving!

Blogger Yeah So said...
I think it is easy to fall into monotony when your life doesn't change for a long time. I know that I felt like my life was a standstill for a while (although I have and still look forward to little things like watching ER and reading a new good book), and now that we are adopting, it seems like a very exciting adventure that seems to make everything better, I even *gasp* like my job this week!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I try not to look forward too far and just live in the moment. I try to find happiness in small, simple things. As long as I can do that, I can look forward to every day. I try to always have some small reward for myself every day, whether it's an hour by myself, exercising, getting a new book to read, having one-on-one time with Robert or one of the kids, etc. That way, even among the drudgery, there is something fun every day.

Blogger Liv said...
This is exactly what E and I were discussing last week. It was hard for me to find anything to be happy about because everything I had been looking forward to got swiped from under my feet. I think a large part of that is that I have been depressed most of my life. That aside, I enjoy making plans and looking forward to things. The downside to that is I miss what happens every day. Like Dani's favorite commercial is for Welch's grape juice. She talks along with the words and it is so funny. Whenever she sees me sad she says, "Mommy will the Concord Grapes make you happy?" It's the little things that make me happy.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Life is a gift and we must appreciate every minute, even the mundane routine ones. I look forward to each day and the "wait" has been getting shorter. The adventure lies in the journey, not the destination!


Kay B

Blogger Jenny said...
I live my life in a boring nonexistant sort of way. I have things, usual things I do but I certainly do not appreciate things as I should. I don't think we have time to appreciate things all the time.

With a whole year of waiting ahead of me, I have days of exuberance and I have days of just bleak and utter darkness. But that has always been my personality. Others are more positive all the time. I do enjoy a nap and some time in bed and I do enjoy walking my dog.

and btw, I haven't been following you enough, I don't know why I didn't click on your link.

later-Jenny