Saturday, March 18, 2006
Songs to Soothe the Savage "Waiter"
“So… So… let’s dance!” (That is my husband’s favorite line from Caddy Shack. If you have seen it you may remember Rodney Dangerfield using that line to change the subject) So… So… I am changing the subject... Music that tells it like it is...

Yes, you can see that I am largely stuck in the 80’s like I said I would never be.

How I feel about blogging sometimes:

“The future’s for discovering
The space in which we're traveling
From the top of the first page
To the end of the last day
From the start in your own way
You just want
Somebody listening to what you say
It doesn’t matter who you are
It doesn’t matter who you are….”


Coldplay from X&Y album

Also-

“Trouble me; disturb me with all your cares and your worries. Trouble me
on the days when
you feel spent.
Why let your shoulders bend underneath this burden when my back is
sturdy and strong?
Trouble me.”


10,000 maniacs “Trouble me”

After being exhausted after a long day-

“If only tonight we could sleep
In a bed made of flowers
If only tonight we could fall
In a deathless spell
If only tonight we could slide
Into deep black water
And breathe…
And breathe….
Then an angel would come
With burning eyes like stars
And bury us deep
In his velvet arms
And the rain would cry
As our faces slipped away
And the rain would cry

…. Don’t let it end”


Cure “If only tonight we could sleep”


This is the song I sing sometimes to wake up the kids:

Morning its morning the curtains are shut
I’ll ring you in the morning but the phone's been cut
Can you hear me (really loud right in their ears)
I've been calling all day
Can you hear me (loud)
Ooo Can you hear me (really loud again)

I'd wish they'd fix the wires 'cause my baby don't know
That I'm leaving in the morning and I'm ready to go
Can you hear me (loud)
Can you hear me at all (loud)

Can you hear me
Ooo can you hear me


Yaz “Bad Connection”


Encouraging words from U2:

“And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if our way should falter
Along the stony pass
It's just a moment, this time will pass”


U2 “Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of It”

Anyone an Indigo Girls fan? I finally understand about the poster now:

…And I went to see the doctor of philosophy
With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee
He never did marry or see a b-grade movie
He graded my performance; he said he could see through me
I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind
Got my paper and I was free


Indigo Girls “Closer to Fine”

Did you see that part about RASPUTIN? Come on, all you Russian history buffs- who was Rasputin?

Dedicated to my youngest son:

“Don’t blame the sweet and tender hooligan
Because he’ll never, never do it again
And of course he won’t
(at least not until the next time)
So jury you’ve heard every word
But before you decide
Would you look into those “Mother-me” eyes
I love life for you, my love, you my love…
Don’t blame
The sweet and tender hooligan…”


Smiths- “Sweet and Tender Hooligan”

I have to include these lyrics to dedicate to our new little Russian daughter (I know, I know I am repeating this from a former post, but I had to include this)

…Float her basket over the sea... Here on a barren shore
We'll be waiting for... A tailwind to carry her orphan's cry
Don't you worry, child... I wrote you a lullaby
I'm gonna sing you a lullaby...Building you a home
Building you a home...We're building you a home… Selah


Newsboys “The Orphan”

This is the most common lullaby I sing to my kids. The whole song is not appropriate-I only use some of the words-

“Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
I’m tired and I
I want to go to bed
Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
Sing to me
Sing to me
I’m tired and I
I want to go to bed
There is another world (referring to the dream world here)
There is a better world
Well there must be
Well there must be….”


The Smiths “Asleep”

Favorite Lyrics anyone?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:
Blogger Maggie said...
Nice post, Jen. I'm not a country music fan. But there's a Garth Brooks song that is so applicable to the adoption process. It goes

"Standing outside the fire.
Standing outside the fire.
Live is not tried it is merely survived when you're standing outside the fire."

That gives me a little more fight on the days that I feel weak.

And Rasputin? He was an advisor/mystic/fake-healer during the Romanov families reign in Russia. I believe he was brought to the palace to help heal the Romonov's son who was sickly (hemophilia, maybe?). Rasputin was actually born in the same region Peanut is from.

Blogger pilgrimchick said...
I love the Indigo Girls. "Closer to Fine" is a very good way to put the stumbling journey through life in about three minutes. I like their other songs a bit better, though. And yes, to the above (margaret)--that is who Rasputin is.
Sorry to say I am in school....where's my paper so I can be free?

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
growing up i was a huge fan of the cure and the smiths. i heard this quote somewhere, and it resonated with me, "do i listen to the smiths because i'm depressed or by listening to them i am making myself depressed?". i still love them now, but it does seem overly dramatic at times. :)

Blogger Clover said...
Glad you liked it- not copying at all. I don't like to tag because either people feel offended that they weren't chosen or they feel aggrevated that its one more thing to post about.

Closer to Fine is also one of my favorites, as is Galileo.