Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Thailand: Family Trips Are Awesome
Yesterday I was with friends at Starbucks discussing our upcoming trip to Thailand (leaving tomorrow).

And Yes I feel guilty for spending this amount of money on ourselves when there are so many starving people in the world. And Yes I feel guilty for polluting the air with our airplane travel.

And Yes I did just see the WALL-E movie to make me feel worse about that.

But family trips are not the same as buying (for example) a wasteful $10,000 designer handbag or polluting with activities that have no value.

Family trips bring families together. They can open your children's eyes to new people and cultures that can't be experienced locally. They create memories that last lifetimes.

And with rising gas prices, family trips may soon be a thing of the past (unless you can walk there). Our travel agent said our air tickets would have cost $600 more the week after we bought them due to a fuel charge increase. If prices keep going up like they have been airlines will not be able to stay in business.

So, to sum it all up. I think family trips are awesome. We will be riding elephants (Piney will love that), meeting the locals, staying at hotels that were devastated by the 2004 tsunami (and learning more about that), exploring new sites, smells and places, and enjoying quality family time.

I don't know if I will have Internet access, so I may not be back on line for awhile, but when we return I will tell you all about it.

I am also excited because we found an orphanage to volunteer at here in Seoul. Our whole family will be going there twice a month to play games and hang out with the children. That will be starting in August.

So there will be lots to share!

-till then (P.S. My Simple Green World Blog is Finally working again HERE)

Labels:

10 Comments:
Blogger kate said...
Can't wait to see the pix and hear the stories of your new volunteering. Sounds like life is good.

Blogger Queen of the House said...
I think it's great you have the opportunity to spend time with your family all together.

I also think it's fantastic you'll be volunteering at an Orphanage there in Seoul!!

Ya know what, I don't think it is frivolous at all!!!

Sorry I've been out of the blogging world for months. I took a break and I'm now catching up on bloglines. It takes forever let me tell you. I stillh ave quite a few of your back posts to read, but I'm catching up!

My new blog is public not private like I had to make my old one...so come check it out when you get back.

www.mylifeinpictures4u.blogspot.com

You guys have an awesome time in Thailand. What a great experience for your kids and your family.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
wow, sounds like an awesome trip. we just had a sales meeting in thailand. unfortunately, i got booked for the san francisco and boston shows instead!

Blogger Keri said...
First of all, have a great time on your trip! I cant wait to see pictures!

Secondly, which orphanage will you be volunteering at? My husband volunteered at an orphanage in Seoul during the year he was stationed there with the Air Force. I know there are probably dozens but I wonder if he'd be familiar with the one you're considering.

Blogger Unknown said...
A woman I know has a lot of cute personalized clothes she is looking to find a 3 year old for who has the same name as her daughter / your daughter. I know you appreciate second-had clothes, so I suggested you. I think she is willing to send them to Korea because she wants them to have a happy home. Please e-mail me at: lauriesmithkatz at yahoo if you are interested.

Blogger Deb said...
You don't need to defend a family trip. They are awesome and very needed!
Hope you enjoy your time there. Riding an elephant sounds like a lot of fun.
What a special thing for your family to do together at the orphange.

Blogger Jenni said...
I'm so jealous! Thailand's been on my "must see before I die" list for years! I look forward to hearing about your journey and seeing pics.

Blogger Dreamer girl said...
What a wonderful lesson to have your family volunteer at the orphanage. We are starting our family vacation on Monday to Traverse City. So beautiful? I hope you have a good time. The reality for me is we have been able to only have one two trips this month due to rising everything. Sigh, it could always be worse.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Hope you have a great time! I went to Thailand twelve years ago. We will have annual trips out there once we move. I'm anxious to see pictures.

I think your orphanage work is wonderful! I'm hoping we can also get involved with something like that after we get settled.