Thursday, July 31, 2008
Mom!
We have a new rule that Piney can not say the word Mom at the dinner table.

This is because she says Mom 800 times during the course of a meal.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I have a fork.

Me:O.K.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I need water.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:My shirt is dirty.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I took a big bite (demonstrates).

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:My food looks like a worm.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:My plate is dirty. I need to clean it with a napkin.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I want more.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I have an owie on my foot.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I went to school today.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:We had water day.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I saw a bug outside the window.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I jumped high today.

Piney:Mom!

Me:What?

Piney:I kept my underwear clean all day.

Piney:Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom!

Piney:YOU HAVE TO SAY "WHAT"!

Me:There is a new rule that you can't say Mom during dinner.

(side comment by M: don't you think that's a little harsh? Geez!)

Piney: Jennefer! Jennefer! JENNEFER!

Labels:

14 Comments:
Blogger kim said...
That is so true. It can be exhausting to hear "mom" a thousand times a day. Their reaction is also funny when you try to ignore them and tune them out.

Blogger Queen of the House said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Queen of the House said...
Oh that's so funny!!!! Mine does the same thing when we're out in public. I can't tell you how many sly grins and giggles I get from those who've been in our shoes.

Blogger kate said...
I told my class one time that they had used up their quota of answers for the day. I think I blogged it...

Ahhh...remember when you were longing to hear her calling you by name. ;>

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've tried every trick...you just CAN'T win this "game."

I have had to go very heavy on the highlights to cover the gray hair all of the "MOM'S!?!?!" have given me.

On another note...I know that kids learn faster than adults, but Piney's vocabulary is wonderful!! Is she right where she should be for her age now?

Stephanie

Blogger Jenni said...
Ha! Eamon does the same thing, but it's more of a "Mama...you know what?"

Kids can drive you crazy sometimes.

Blogger Suzanne said...
I have the cure for this! Figure out how many "moms" are reasonable for a meal, 10 for example. Add 5 extras. Then lay out 15 gummie bears, M&M's whatever in the center of the table.

Tell her she gets to eat all the treats after dinner, but every time she 'Moms' you for something silly, you get to eat one.

So, "I want water" would not cost a treat. "I have a fork" would.

ok, I admit I have no idea how this would work with a little one. It worked on my kids though.

I use Kate's line about 'using up the answers' too. It's a great line.

Blogger Rachael said...
That's hilarious.

I have a this great ability to tune stuff out. It drives my husband crazy. He'll be like, "RACHAEL, did you not hear him say mom 10 times? Just answer the kid so he'll stop!" Well, I guess it's up for debate if that's a great quality or not, but it does save my sanity! :)

I like Suzanne's suggestion. That's great.

Blogger Melissa said...
I so am going to keep Suzanne's idea in the back of my head. I get "mama'ed" to death, too. And I love hearing it, because for so long, I wanted to hear it! But our dinners go something like this:

"Look, Mama. More milk, mama. Please, mama. Thank you, mama. Hear firetruck, mama. Mama. Mama. MAMA! (whispers) maaaamaaaa. Iliya eat, mama." and so on...

It's music to my ears...but even the best song can be overplayed just a bit! ;)

Blogger Melissa said...
I am lucky, I have not gotten the Mommy a million times a day yet from either kid. I am sure it is only a matter of time

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My two year old once said, "Mommy!" 64 times while I drove one mile. Obviously, I had resorted to counting to preserve my sanity.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We just laughed. What a smart daughter you have. Tell M that Piney has the right to say "dad" as many times during dinner and that he has to say "what".

Great memories and something you'll both laugh about in years to come.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I need to copy your post and put it on my blog. We are going through a "mom" stage as well.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Oh my! This sounds like our house. I think I need a rule like that!