Sunday, March 30, 2008
Hot Hot Simple Night


Yea! I made my own homemade organic vegetable soup for the first time ever!






Here is Piney cheering for me

The vegetables are grown locally as you can see the Korean labels, so I know they are fresh.

and it turned out awesome! The thing I am missing is a big cast iron pot which I am looking into. I also made oatmeal bars from scratch.

If you missed the recipes in my comment section here they are again:

From Elle: "I've done vegetable soup, but it was with a beef broth base. Just buy a bunch of organic veg (potatoes, green beans, carrots, celery or whatever) throw them in a pot, cover with stock, add some kosher salt and a little pepper bring to a boil and let simmer until veg is mostly done. I throw in some organic mini letter pasta to make instant alphabet soup. Easy."

From Erin:
Chewy Fruit & Oatmeal Bars

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
One 8-ounce container vanilla or plain low-fat yogurt
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I substituted the oil with applesauce and it worked great)
2 Tbsp. skim milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup diced dried mixed fruit, raisins, or dried cranberries


Preparation Steps
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk, and vanilla; mix well. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Add to yogurt mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and fruit.
Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.


After this delicious dinner on Saturday night

M and I went out for ice cream and picked up the video called Dan In Real Life

then we went home and took part in Earth Hour (see last post)

The kids and I got out our emergency crank flashlights and turned off all the power in our home. Then we played hide-and-go-seek and squash (some call it sardines)

(O.K. the truth is that our home was not completely power-free as M didn't want to take part in our silly Earth Hour thing and so he watched TV, but I understood)

We had a blast without him anyway- Piney kept wanting to be the hider and she would keep hiding in the same place and then jump out before we found her.

Afterwards we watched the video (fun movie- recommended!) while I worked on my knitting. I am making progress on my hat. I am not sure if I will give it to Pineapple or if I will donate it, but I am excited to see how it turns out!

I am having a lot of fun with this simple living idea- Making whole foods, spending time with family and learning how to knit- I may never have to buy another hat again. I have also been collecting the inner plastic bags from cereal boxes to use instead of plastic bags. They are great for storing my oatmeal bars. They are better because they are thicker than the regular plastic bags and keep food fresher longer.

I will never need to buy plastic bags again!

Labels:

6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congrats on the from-scratch cooking!

I make my vegetable soup without the beef broth. (I'm a vegetarian.) The key is to remember a large can of crushed tomatoes, celery, onions and carrots. Plus all the other vegetables that sound good. I usually use at least a dozen vegetables (spinach, corn, green beans, lima beans, peas, bell peppers, broccoli, potatoes...) plus three kinds of beans (kidney, black and chickpeas), and sometimes some pasta or rice. I end up with enough soup for an army, but it's so tasty that it's not hard to get my friends to take some.

Blogger Elle said...
Glad you liked it. I actually prefer mine made with Veg stock or Chicken stock. I'm not much of a beef eater and we typically have home made chicken stock on hand. Try adding kale, chard or a few other leafy greens at the last for added vitamins.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
hello! from America. We celebrated Earth Hour by turning off the computer, TV, lights and used our emergency flashlights and candles while we worked on a 1000 piece puzzle. It was interesting and we were surprized how fast the hour went. We didn't notice a lot of news coverage in our area about earth hour and some of our neighbors didn't participate, we wondered if they even knew about it. Disappointing. It was a fun evening and we were glad we participated. Thanks for telling us about it. Great job in becoming more self sufficient and environmental conscious. You inspire us. Piney looks like she likes it too!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Who ARE you?! R&S

Blogger Mary said...
Glad these things are working so well for you and your family. We've been working on leading a simpler life as well. It really is easier not having to worry about so much "stuff."

Sounds like you guys really had fun during Earth Hour. And boo M for not participating with you.

We did Earth Hour too. The little ones were already in bed and Hubby and I spent some quality time together, just chatting in the quiet darkness. We enjoyed it and might make it something we do more often!

Blogger RamblingMother said...
She is so cute.

beverly