Tuesday, June 13, 2006
The Monday Review: Favorite Kid’s Books
This post is about kid’s books, not adopting books or Russia books, just regular books. I am not going to review each book, just list favorites. In getting prepared for summer reading for my kids as well as starting to purchase things for Pineapple I thought I could share with you some of my kid’s favorites. In return, I was hoping that you could share some of yours. You would think after three kids I would have a plethora of children’s books, but this is sadly not the case. I have relied on our local library for most books, but I would like to slowly build a collection of my own. If you don’t have any kids yet, or even if you do perhaps you could think back to when you were a kid and remember the books that were magical to you.

Favorite Little Kid’s Books

Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Pat The Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr
Hush, Little Baby by Marla Frazee
Junie B. Jones Series by Barbara Park
The Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne
Zen Shorts by John J. Muth
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems



Favorite Older Kid’s Books

Warriors Series by Erin Hunter
Guardians of the Gahoole by Kathryn Lasky
Artemis Fowl Books by Eoin Colfer
Lord of the Rings Series byJ.R.R. Tolkien
Enders Game Series by Orson Scott Card
Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

Favorite Books for Teens

Les Miserable by Victor Hugo

Labels:

6 Comments:
Blogger Lauri said...
Here are the most popular books in our house - Liv is 18 month's old

Good Night Gorilla- Peggy Rathmann

My First "_____" book ( animal, words,numbers) colorful picture books by DK publishing

Any of Sandra Boynton books
Our favs- the going to bed book
Blue hat, Green Hat
Barn Yard dance
Moo, Baa, La la la

The very Hungry caterpillar

Brown bear, brown bear

Anonymous Anonymous said...
When I was little, I loved any Little Golden Book. The one I remember most is The Pokey Little Puppy! More recent favorites are Guess How Much I Love You, Giraffes Can't Dance, Just Like You and The Keeping Quilt (this one is for a little older child but the Russian flair makes it special to us).

Blogger Mary said...
I also loved "The Monster at the End of This Book". I found it last year and bought it for our little guy. It's a must read using your best Grover voice. Lauri also has a good list. My favourite Sandra Boynton book is the "Belly Button Book". There's also "I Love you Forever", "Good Night Little Mouse" and the "Thank You Prayer" - it's our storytime ender.

Blogger sandy said...
Our favorite little kid books, in addition to those you listed:

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Peter Rabbit
The Carl the Dog series
Jamberry
The Big Red Barn

Picture books:
Alphabeep
Martha the Dog series
Roy and Stella go Camping
Steam, Smoke and Steel (trains)
Dahlia

Chapter books:
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Dr. Doolittle
The Wind in the Willows

I could add more but these are the ones I remember without looking on the shelf. (They're asleep right now =)

Blogger 6blessings said...
My kids enjoy so many of the books that you and others mentioned. My 8 year olds are really into the Magic Treehouse series. My older daughter has found a new historical fiction series she enjoys called Sisters in Time, definitely for girls. I doubt your boys would get into it.:-)

My son who is turning six today is weird. He enjoys his children's dictionary. He has taught himself many things out of it. One day he came in and signed "MOM" in sign language. I asked him where he learned that. He went and got his dictionary. He had been reading about sign language.

Blogger Jennefer said...
Thanks guys! I am copying down all of your book selections and adding them to my Amazon wish list. I am sure they will come in very handy!