Friday, May 05, 2006
Adopting from an Orphanage in Bryansk, Russia!!
We have news- we found out that we will be adopting from the Bryansk region. Here are a few things I read about the area from FRUA comments:

“It's a very quaint town and the orphanages are supposed to be very good. The town of Klintsy is extremely poor. Most adoptions in the Oblast (ie, "province") of Bryansk are due to poverty. They call the children the Bryansk Beauties. It is a 6-7 hr train ride from Moscow- SW, near Ukraine.”

I was a little concerned, though, when I typed in Bryansk in the search engine for the first time and the top link that came up was www.chernobyl.info . Yes, Bryansk was (is still) affected by the Chernobyl incident. According to this article the Bryansk region was the Russian region MOST affected by the radioactive fallout.

It is interesting that I found out that we will be adopting from that region on May 2, 2006 and April 26, 2006 marked the 20th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster. Also, I just finished my final school paper on April 28 on Environmental Problems, specifically mentioning health problems and referring to the Chernobyl disaster. At the same time I have been reading the book: Obsessive Genius, The Inner World of Marie Curie. (I had actually started the book a while ago, but was too busy to finish it before it was due back at the library, so I just recently rechecked it out a couple of weeks ago). And of course, Marie Curie discovered Radium. I highly recommend this book by the way. The question I have now is- is this a coincidence or is God trying to tell me something? Am I supposed to be learning something here? . Maybe God is just trying to tell me that this is where we are supposed to be. Everything that I have read about helping the kids in that area have been the same: The only proven way to save the children from the ravages of the Chernobyl radioactive contamination is to remove them from the area permanently. It sounds like the most common lingering affect is thyroid cancer.

I think it would do us all some good to remember and to realize that the affects still linger. See UNICEF’s recent photo essay here.

See article here

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
I read some about Chernobyl on the 26th but honestly had no idea children are still being affected. I guess I try to ignore the bad stuff a little too much. Thanks for educating me.
That's great that you have a region now. Does that mean you are closer to a referral?
Good luck on Saturday!

Blogger Maggie said...
Funny how we're prepared for things in life when we don't even realize it, isn't it?

It sounds like this region will be a good fit for you.

Blogger Jennefer said...
Debbie,

I am guessing about 5 more weeks to a referral. (This is an educated guess)

Blogger Suz said...
I don't think it is a coincidence at all. I believe God was preparing you with all the ways this has come up in your life recently. You're on the way now! Hoping for a quick referral for you.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Congratulations on being one step closer. Hopefully a referral will come soon. We are also south of Moscow, in the same vicinity.

Good luck on finals!!

Blogger Rhonda said...
Oh, I don't think its any coincidence. Congrats Jen. We're excited for you guys.

Blogger Sridevi said...
Hey,
Nice to have you visit my blog.

Wish you all the best with your adoptin process.

Cheers,
Sridevi

Blogger Yeah So said...
Not sure you're supposed to be learning anything...I just think it's a sign that you are meant to be connected to that region. Very exciting!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Very exciting that you've been assigned a region. Interesting article from CBSnews. And I agree with you re: the best way to protect them against the environmental effects is to get them out.

I was born in Bryansk and can not find any information about the region and myself. I was in an orphanage near this region. Do you have more information about this?

I was born in Bryansk and I was in an orphanage near this region and had no idea about this. Do you have more information on the Bryansk region? I’m very interested to know more about where I came from but I can barely get information.

I was born in Bryansk and I was in an orphanage near this region and had no idea about this. Do you have more information on the Bryansk region? I’m very interested to know more about where I came from but I can barely get information.