Thursday, March 16, 2006
Our Adoption Referral
I recently told M that I know how easy it will be to fall in love with our referral, but I think I might have a little bit of a hardened heart in the beginning - mixed with a bit of denial - to protect myself emotionally until I walk out of that court room. Then I will let out a big sigh of relief and hug my new child as truly ours.

I guess there are never any guarantees for us as adoptive parents or birth parents. There are lost referrals, long waits, failed court days, lost accreditations, miscarriages and still births. There are severe special needs, delays, fatal conditions, diseases, infections and accidents, etc. that can happen at any time to our child (ren). There are no promises of total protection for anyone.

Despite this; however, we just go on loving these children anyway. It is a risk to our hearts, but how much worse to never love or care about a child. I know this is easy for me to say as I have never had these hard things happen to me (except the reaccreditation delay- which is now resolved), but everyone has their different trials and an unknown future. I just hope and pray that things will work out for everyone in the end- that eventually we will all be able to bring home our forever child that is meant for each individual family and that our experiences with them will be all we dreamed.

Labels:

5 Comments:
Blogger Elle said...
I think of it this way. Despite the fact that A will never come and live in our house I am so lucky. I am lucky to be picked to love that little boy. I was lucky to be the one to love him and pray for him. To be able to give a child that had nothing the love and prayers of so many people around the world. That is what I will take from this experience.

I may have a rough time the next go around, but I truly feel that I have so much love to give. This is just part of the journey to bring home the child that was created just for us.

Don't let your heart get hardened. Faith, hope and love are what gets us through the difficult parts.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
wow, i just read Derek and Lisa's blog. this is tough news to hear, isn't it?

Blogger Maggie said...
The risk is definitely worth taking.

Blogger Rhonda said...
I figure if I'm going to have the lows of disappointment, then I want the highs of excitement and falling in love with the referral. I won't be able to help myself, I know that. So, I am throwing caution to the wind and getting my hopes up, falling in love with the referral photo, and if I am disappointed...then hey, at least I was able to have some joy before the disappointment hit.

Blogger Jennefer said...
You all have very big hearts!